Friday, September 21, 2007

Nothing's Quite as Nice as Beans and Rice

I was so tired last night I waited till really late to start even thinking about dinner. By then I was REALLY tired. After many trips to the refridgerator (just standing in it waiting for prepared food to just pop out at me) I finally gave in and realized that I would just have to cook something. I went to the pantry and saw, black beans, brown rice, diced tomatoes and green chilies. I figure I can make something pretty good pretty easily with that stuff.

I packed Ken the hash and some left over Italian sausage chunks... corn bread and a bowl of diced pears and pluots. After just finishing a plate of tasty beans and rice for dinner, I have to say the lunch looked very appetizing.
Erin's Sleepy Hash
1 can of black beans (kidney beans, red beans whatever)
1 can of diced tomatoes
half an onion diced (just so happens I had a leftover half an onion to use up)
1 or 2 cloves (or more) chopped garlic
1 small can of diced green chilies (optional)
1 cup of brown rice (or white rice... just should be long grain probably)

So, I sautéed the onion and garlic in a bit of butter until the onions were translucent. I dumped in all the canned goods undrained. I added a little bit more water, like a 1/4 cup. When it was to a boil I added the rice. Waited for it to boil again and then covered it and turned it down to a simmer. It took about 40 minutes for the rice to cook through. Perfect time to bake some corn bread!

Chloe requested to have some of the dinner in her bento box... she also wanted some macaroni and cheese. I have a little gladware box of Arthur shaped Macaroni and cheese in the fridge, stuff that we had for dinner earlier in the week. She must of sensed that I was feeling rather zombie like, because this was a super simple lunch to pack. A little diced pears and pluots and some cucumber sticks for good measure. She was happy with it when she left this morning.

No comments: