Friday, August 31, 2007

Savory Satay

Well, just for you, I made some Satay tonight for a delicious dinner. I usually make some chowmein along with it. But since Kenny is in school and I would be the only one really eating it I sliced bananas and used them as a side instead.

I have gotten incredibly busy with the kids, keeping them away from the TV and making sure they're up on time and off to school on time and picked up on time etc. etc. etc... So I am planning a few make ahead meals for the next week or so. Satay was one of them that I split and saved half of the marinaded chicken for later this month.

Satay

2 lbs of chicken breast

ingredients for the marinade
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh lemon grass
3 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp ground Indian curry
some fresh ground pepper (this is the heat, so pepper to taste)

ingredients for Thai peanut sauce
13.5 oz can of coconut milk (shaken well, save 1/4 of can for basting meat)
3 tsps Masaman curry paste
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp chunky peanut butter

Preparations

  • Cut the meat into small 1 inch pieces

  • In a bowl mix marinade ingredients and add to meat. Cover and refrigerate overnight or at least 3 hours. (If planning on serving this treat later in the month, put chicken marinade mixture in the freezer, take out of freezer the night before you plan on cooking it)

  • Make Peanut Sauce

    • Turn the stove on medium heat

    • In a small sauce pan add 1/2 can of coconut milk

    • Let the coconut milk bubble a little

    • Add Masaman curry paste, fish sauce, sugar and chunky peanut butter.

    • Stir to blend in

    • Add the remaining coconut milk and turn heat off
    Barbecuing

    Soak skewers in water for 20 minutes to keep them from burning during grilling. Skewer chicken pieces. Fire up grill. Brush grill with vegetable oil to keep the meat from sticking. Lay skewers of meat on grill. Brush occasionally with coconut milk and rotate to cook evenly. When meat is done remove satay.

    Serve with delicious Jasmine Rice and Peanut Sauce. This is some of the most heavenly tasting chicken ever!

No comments: